I'm so happy to report that we finally have a mantel on our
family room fireplace. It was one of those smaller jobs that just
took us forever to get around to.
This photo below shows what the fireplace looked like
at the first showing we attended.
Of course you can see that we removed the brass doors and painted the stone.
You can also see the two little funky concrete shelves that needed to be removed
but that left the problem of how to fill the holes that would remain.
Well, hubby was able to remove the two shelves easily enough and I came up
with the idea of using spray foam to fill the holes and then sort of sculpt it
to match the existing stone.
I didn't take any pictures of that wonderfully messy process but I am
actually shocked that it worked as well as it did.
After painting my fake stones, I don't think anyone would ever know
unless I told them ~ at least I hope so.
So then hubby installed a basic mantel that we purchased at Home Depot.
I did give it a coat of chalk paint and distressed it a little.
Now I'm having fun playing around with accessories.
I think mostly white with a little bit of color looks really pretty with
the rustic stone and I like the contrast of my old crate too.
You can imagine how glad I am to have this done and it has made a big
difference to the feel of the entire room.
I'm making a few other small changes to this room that
I hope to show you soon.
~ thank you so much for visiting ~
I'm joining these wonderful parties: