COTTAGE KITCHEN WITH CHIPPY ACCENTS

I have another adorable cottage kitchen to show you today.
This one is in a house in the Historic District of Wilmington, NC.
Since the owners use this house on a part-time basis they kept the kitchen small
 but it's large on charm with some unique accents and chippy pieces of furniture. 


The small table and chair are SO cute and I love how some vintage
cupboards were mixed in with the traditional cabinetry.


I think the vintage chandelier adds a lot of personality too.


The corner of the kitchen shown below uses an old dresser for added
storage and some pretty artwork on the walls.


I found this kitchen on Houzz where it was featured as a "Kitchen of the Week."
I was surprised by some of the comments which you can read HERE.
Many had strong opinions about using vintage items with chipping paint in a kitchen.
Some just really didn't like the look and others felt it would be unsanitary
 and possibly even a health risk around food preparation.
  (Ensuring that there had been no lead paint used on these pieces is a valid point.)

This is my favorite quote from one of the comments:
"This is a cute kitchen, but I, too, am not a fan of the peeling paint "tortured" furniture look."

The designer, Melanie Bowe of En Vie Interiors, left a comment saying that
the pieces had been cleaned, sanded and sealed so there would not be any flaking.


Do you like this kitchen?
I know that most of us bloggers love our "tortured" furniture but
what do you think about using it in the kitchen?
I would love to hear your thoughts.


• • joining • • 
SAVVY SOUTHERN STYLE ~ WOW US WEDNESDAY
HAVE A DAILY CUP OF MRS. OLSON ~ SHARE YOUR CUP THURSDAY
FROM MY FRONT PORCH TO YOURS ~ TREASURE HUNT THURSDAY





Comments

  1. It's a cute kitchen, but I'm not a huge fan of the vintage cabinet in its shabby state. I love the look of vintage cabinets incorporated in new kitchens, but I prefer that they be sanded and painted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't care for it THAT tortured. What I like is the table in the kitchen. I have always loved an eat-in kitchen.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a lovely space. I agree, some of the pieces are a bit too tortured for my own every day kitchen, but I think it would be great as a vacation space! I just love that sink area...sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling kitchen I am pinning it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE IT!! It would not be functional for my family for everyday use but it would be sweet for a vacation home!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The kitchen looks lovely. I would like our next kitchen to be light blue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a divine space!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lived in Wilmington for 8 years and love the houses in the historic district there. I adore this kitchen. I'll take tortured furniture any day of the week. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this charming kitchen. There shouldn't be a problem since everything has been sealed. It has so much personality!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! It's so cute and full of charm. I think as long as your appliances and counter tops are food safe, what's the worry?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this and would definitely use chippy furniture in the kitchen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the kitchen . . . that little table is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do like the kitchen. Love the table and the whole kitchen just has a fun, vintage feel to it! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE it and like the designer said, it is sealed, so there won't be any chips of paint falling off!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree. Not an all year round space. But an awesome vacation spot!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i agree. Perfect for a vacation spot, but not an everyday kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a sweet Kitchen! I bet the rest of the house is cute too!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute little kitchen. I wouldn't mind the chippy look as long as the chips wouldn't fall into the food. I have seen antique tables in Country Living before that I would never eat off of, but to each his own. This little kitchen is charming.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, I'd gladly torture a bit of furniture. lol! I love the look and I would use it in a kitchen. Sealing it is a good idea though. I have an old cupboard out on my porch. Last year we finished our basement and I wanted to use it in the kitchen. We really couldn't get it to work so I am now saving it for my (some day) potting shed. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think that kitchen is adorable! The chippy cabinet looks perfectly at home there. Knowing that it's cleaned and sealed I'd say it would be fine there. I do worry about lead based paint on old things but sealing works. Right? Either way, it's gorgeous..

    I realized when you left me a message earlier that I don't believe I've been seeing the updates to your blog. Has anyone else told you that? Maybe I need to investigate. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts