Skip to main content

Florence, Italy

Today I have some photos to share from our stop in Florence, Italy this summer. 

This is the famous Santa Maria del Fiore Cathedral commonly referred to as the Duomo.
See the tiny specks of people at the top of the cupola?
Can you believe how massive it is?


Construction on this cathedral began in 1294.
The dome was designed by Filippo Brunelleschi and was added 
in the fifteenth century.



Palazzo Vecchio - the town hall of Florence.

The oldest bridge in Florence is the Ponte Vecchio over the Arno River.


High end, expensive jewelry shops line both sides of the bridge so you can shop (or browse) 
as you walk across it.  I was definitely the browsing type.  I mean, who has money
to buy jewelry after paying for a trip to Europe?  Not me!



If you love art, then Florence is the place for you with its
many famous museums such as the Uffizi Gallery and the Pitti Palace.





At the Accademia Gallery you can see Michaelangelo's David 
which is so very impressive.


And amazingly huge!


There are many, many outdoor restaurants and cafes.
We found one that we liked so much that we went there twice.
Risotto with truffle oil - yum!


Next will be our last stop in Europe - Rome!
I also have a couple posts planned to show some special places we
 visited and then that will be it for our European vacation.
Thank goodness, right?
I hope I haven't overloaded you all with posts about our trip but
I do enjoy sharing it with you.

As always, thanks so much for visiting ~
JoAnne

- joining -
FRENCH COUNTRY COTTAGE ~ FEATHERED NEST FRIDAY
NATASHA IN OZ ~ SUNDAYS DOWN UNDER

BETWEEN NAPS ON THE PORCH ~ MET MONDAY
COZY LITTLE HOUSE ~ TWEAK IT TUESDAY

Comments

  1. What a fabulous trip! You got some great photos, I especially love the image of the bridge lined with jewelry shops. And the risotto with truffle oil sounds so decadent. Yum.
    xo Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I never took humanities or art education in college but my sons have. I read some of their books and would love to go there and see those historic works of art. I'm so glad y'all got to do that trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great trip you had. Loved coming along with you in pictures. Love the pics of the bridge how gorgeous.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Florence is a city of grandeur, your photos are beautiful. I have truly enjoyed each and every photo you have shared, thanks.
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dream is to visit Italy some day, I love the beautiful architecture in Europe. Your pictures are beautiful. What an amazing trip! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the buildings. They have so much detail. You took beautiful pictures on your trip. Hope to be able to go to Italy someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really enjoying those possts where you share your trip. Florence is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos of your trip JoAnne! The art is just amazing! Thanks for sharing! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like an amazing trip. Italy is definitely on my must see list!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So good to hear from you, Joanne! It was such a pleasant surprise to read your comment. :) Wow, how incredible that you were able to travel to Italy. Florence is one of my favorite cities in Europe. The richness of the culture, architecture and food is unmatched. Seeing your photos reminded me of a trip there many years ago. So glad you enjoyed your time there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A HOUSE ON A LAKE

Many of us dream of having a beach house but when you don't live anywhere near the ocean, a house on a lake might be a more realistic possibility. Lake houses or cabins tend to be a little more rustic and cozy, I think, and there's something to be said for being surrounded by tall trees, the sounds of nature, and possibly a few critters. Here are a few lake houses I found on Houzz.   Some small, some bigger, some more rustic than others. Take a look and let me know what you think.
PLEASANT LAKE, NEW HAMPSHIRE


http://www.houzz.com/projects/53512/Pleasant-Lake--NH-Cottage-Renovation

WOMAN LAKE, MINNEAPOLIS                    http://www.houzz.com/projects/43614/Woman-Lake

PINE MOUNTAIN, GEORGIA


http://www.houzz.com/projects/334049/Camp-Callaway ORCAS ISLAND, WASHINGTON O


http://www.houzz.com/projects/2559/Orcas-Island-Cabin
PRIVATE LAKE IN MAINE

Home For The Holidays ~ Entry, Family Room and Kitchen

I have always loved the phrase "Home for the Holidays". Even though we are taking a short trip right before Christmas, we will be back in time to enjoy Christmas at home.

Of course, home can be wherever the people I love will be.
That's the most important thing and the most necessary ingredient.





But I don't mind if it also includes a cute little reindeer.





And a decorated mantel.





A Christmas tree, of course.



Pretty packages.






And a cozy kitchen with little bits of Christmas sprinkled around.







Christmas also includes our cute kitty with visions of sugarplums dancing
in his little head . . . or kitty treats, whichever.


Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by.
I know there are so many beautiful homes to visit right now.

Hope your Christmas is Merry and Bright!
JoAnne

- joining -

NESTING PLACE ~ CHRISTMAS TOUR OF HOMES 2016




Farmhouse Style In My Kitchen

Wow! Farmhouse style has really taken off, hasn't it? I love it just as much as many of you out there. One of the great things about it is that it's fairly easy to add  to your decor and it can be relatively inexpensive too.
Here are a few recent finds for my kitchen that I think give it a little more of that farmhouse feeling. 

Now this one is pretty obvious considering it has the word "FARM" right on it  : ) This came from a little shop I went to while we were on vacation  and it really inspired me to add a few more farmhouse style accessories.


I have admired these vintage scales forever and I finally found one on Ebay  that I thought would look great in my kitchen and was also a reasonable price. Boy, some of them are really pricey!



Any good farmhouse has to have a rooster, right? A quick little project I did was add blue grain sack stripes to this white wooden rooster. I think he is pretty proud of them!


Of course mason jars and pretty little flowers bring on th…